Shabbat and Holidays
Happy Hanukkah from KU Hillel!
KU Hillel hosts services and a variety of holiday programs throughout the year. Please check out our calendar to learn more about upcoming events.
KU Hillel holds Shabbat every week.
- Happy Hour Shabbat: Happy Hour takes place at Hillel on New Hampshire Street where students are invited from 4pm-6pm to come relax and experience different Lawrence cuisines from around the town.
- Jayhawk Shabbat: Jayhawk Shabbat is the first Shabbat of the year where Hillel welcomes back students to the start of a great semester. This is one of our most popular Shabbats where students get a chance to reunite and allows students to become familiar with our organization. Principal funding for this program is provided by The Community Legacy Fund of the Jewish Federation of Greater Kansas City.
- Shabbat Around KU: Hillel has a group of student interns who are dedicated to hosting Shabbats in their own homes. The purpose is to teach student how to host a Shabbat dinner for their friends so that one day when they graduate college they will continue to do so.
- Shabbat Brunch: Shabbat brunches happen every Saturday morning from 11am-1pm unless there is a football or basketball game during that time. These brunches are run solely by the Shabbat Brunch Interns and cater to anywhere from 30-80 people on any given afternoon. The students work to get bagels donated each Saturday and Hillel also provides lox, fruit and vegetable platters, chips, dessert, juice and other beverages. Many of the students favor this event due to its laid back atmosphere.
- Shabbat Dinners: Hillel hosts a Shabbat Dinner, typically in the Kansas Union, once a month. Services start at 5:30pm, followed by dinner at 6:30pm. Dinners are a great place for students to gather on a Friday night and enjoy Shabbat together.
Sorry the Calendar feed is currently unavailable. View full calendar directly.